Monday, July 3, 2017

Anchor Conversations

As part of my personal summer professional development, I have jumped back into the PD wonderland known as Twitter.  PD in the twittersphere is so amazing.  It is self-driven, boundless, encouraging and collaborative.  Reestablishing my PLN, has been a wonderful thing.  As a result, I have jumped into Shelley Burgess and Beth Houf's Lead Like a Pirate.

As I embark on my 3rd year as a middle school counselor, I realize now, and embrace, my role as one of the educational leaders in my building.  Looking at this book through the eyes of a leader, has been eye opening.  I am asking myself questions not only as a lead to help teachers and other staff members, but also the students.

I am currently reading the sections on anchor conversations.  I asked myself how can I use the anchor conversations with students.  As a counselor, I feel this gives me a guide to build relationships with my students.


The more I read this section of  Lead Like a Pirate the more I realized that this is for communicating with students as much as teachers.  What student couldn't benefit from these same ideas that Beth and Shelley as leaders to have with teachers?  

After my 12 years in the classroom, students want to know that they are appreciated, respond to you when you notice the impact on what they have done, grow when you work with them and discuss the learning (collaborative conversation), honor their voice and choice and having them reflect on what they have done.

As I am set to start my 3rd year as a middle school counselor, I am planning on how I am going to have these conversations with students.  One of my goals last year was to have a conversation with every student once.  I did a decent job and talked to about 75% of students.   Now that I did that last year, the idea of anchor conversations will give me a chance to focus discussions and make them more meaningful to the students and give them something to build a connection with me.

People respond and do so much more when they feel appreciated and valued.  That is why it is important to choose words carefully and to build on the things that people do well.  One of my core beliefs as an educator is to value the relationships with students.  The students will do so much more for you when they know that you are invested in them.  The way you speak to students will determine the work and effort they give you.


As I have finished Lead Like a Pirate, I realize the importance of interpersonal communication.  Beth and Shelley talk about how important it is to have these anchor conversations with teachers to foster their growth as educators.  The same mentality is true with students.  How you talk to them and address them will impact your journey together.  

The old educational cliche is true:  Students don't care how much you know until they know how much you care!  It is important to nurture that belief and show kids how much we care about them as people and not just their test score.  When they feel valued as people and we invest in them as people, their test scores will show this!  

Drop ANCHOR and have those conversations with kids to show them how invested we are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2018 #oneword update.....#perseverance

At the beginning of the year, twitter was afire of the 2018 #oneword challenge.  I, along with many of my PLN, jumped on board.  My #oneword...